On March 3rd, the BRE China Awards and BREEAM 30th Anniversary will take place in Shanghai, announcing the winners and showcasing the most innovatively sustainable BREEAM rated buildings of the previous 12 months. The Awards will also recognize the high achievements of BREEAM assessors and socially responsible investment through a partnership with GRESB which is the first ever year in China.
- Date: Mar 3rd, 2021
- Time: 13:30-18:00
- Location: 2F, Diamond Ballroom C, The Langham Shanghai
The BREEAM Awards are awarded to the projects that, in the view of the judging panel, provide the best balance between high performance, replicability, innovation and the degree to which the project has gone beyond what would normally be expected for a similar project.
It is worth mentioning that outstanding award-winning building projects will have the opportunity to directly compete for the global BREEAM Award with other outstanding international projects in the BREEAM Awards in March 2021.
GRESB/BREEAM Awards for Responsible Real Estate Investment
For the first year in China, GRESB and BREEAM are partnering to recognise responsible real estate investment and individual leadership, as part of the annual BRE China Awards.
The shortlists in the large and small portfolio categories are drawn from GRESB members who have the highest number of assets with sustainable building certification, based on percentage coverage and total number of assets. This is subject to a minimum of at least 75% of the portfolio holding sustainable building certification.
Dr. Shamir Ghumra, Director of BREEAM of BRE, will be leading the judging panel (see full list at the end of the article). This year we have expanded and enriched the scope of the judging panel. The judges come from government agencies, green building industry professional research fields, green building associations, professional institutions and financial platforms. Read more here
BREEAM projects range from the rural schools delivered on limited budgets that are providing healthy and inspirational learning environments to city towers applying advanced technologies for highly productive and performing workspaces. The past year has seen many projects achieving the upper levels of BREEAM, with the market showing a growing appetite for our BREEAM-In-Use scheme, and for BREEAM across the board internationally. To date, we have 2.3 million buildings registered and have awarded well over 590,000 certificates.
BREEAM in China
As of November 2020, over 900 buildings with 25,000,000 cumulative sqm registered for BREEAM assessment, and over 680+ buildings got certified BREEAM assessment ratings since BREEAM first came to China in 2016.
In China, there are over 100+ companies provide BREEAM consulting services, with more than 250 BREEAM professionals.
BREEAM has witnessed a milestone of rapid development against the market this year in China. Many high-quality projects are actively getting BREEAM certifications. Let’s witness the green road of BREEAM in China with our partners and celebrate the 30th anniversary of BREEAM together.
——Quinnie Li, General Manager of BRE China
Please follow BRE China WeChat Account (BREChina) for the latest awards updates.
BRE China Awards Categories:
- BREEAM Residential Award
- Mutual-Recognition Award
- BREEAM Commercial Award – Design
- BREEAM Commercial Award – Post Construction
- BREEAM In-Use Award
- BREEAM Refurbishment & Fit-Out Award
- BREEAM Innovation Award – Commercial
- BREEAM Innovation Award – Residential
- BREEAM Most Valued Partner Award
- BREEAM Favourite Project Award
- GRESB/BREEAM Asia Award- Best Performing Entity
- GRESB/BREEAM Asia Award – Individual Leadership – Manager/Investor
- Assessor of the Year
International Judging Panel List:
- Shamir Ghumra, Chair of Judges, Director of BREEAM, BRE Global
- Ali Cheshmehzangi, Head of the Department of Architecture and Built Environment, The University of Nottingham Ningbo China
- Harriet Dalrymple, Head of Climate Change and Environment, British Embassy Beijing
- Li Huang, Director of Industrial and Financial Development Department, Institute for China Sustainable Urbanization, Tsinghua University
- James Macdonald, Head of Savills Research, China
- Peter Marshall, Vice Chair of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) China Chapter
- Edward Mazria, Founder and CEO, Architecture 2030
- Tom Miller, Senior Managing Director, Head of Development and Sustainability Asia Pacific, LaSalle Investment Management
- Xinying Tok, GRESB’s Asia Representative
- Tianchi Yu, Vice President of Shenzhen Green Building Association
- Bolun Zhang, Director of Green Building Center, East China Architectural Design & Research Institute
BRE (Building Research Establishment) was founded in 1921, it is a world leading, multi-disciplinary, building science centre with a mission to improve buildings and infrastructure, through research and knowledge generation. We use our cutting-edge research to develop a range of products, services, standards and qualifications that bring about positive change in the built environment.
BREEAM is the world’s foremost and most widely applied environmental assessment method and rating system for buildings, with close to 600,000 buildings with certified BREEAM assessment ratings and over 2,310,000+ registered for assessment since it was first launched by BRE in 1990. As a globally recognized third-party certification, BREEAM not only encourages and supports the sustainable improvement of buildings, but also helps investors understand their asset conditions and improve the resilience of assets in a more convenient and effective way. At present, BREEAM certification has been applied to thousands of assets in several countries to benchmark, improve and certify its performance, and to demonstrate to the public the high standard of environmental and social governance (ESG) of its enterprises.